A Letter to My Future Self

17 November 2014


When I was in Year 7, my English teacher gave my class an assignment - to write a letter to our future-selves that we would open in our final year of high school. At 11 years old, I remember thinking it was a strange concept. I couldn't imagine myself
 five years down the line as a 16 year old young adult, ready to take on the world. What would I want to say to myself? What would I want to know? I remember writing that letter so clearly, and also the day I opened it. Its a memory that I've always held very dear to me. So when I came across this tag on my Bloglovin feed, I instantly jumped right at that opportunity. What better what to honour that memory than writing another letter to my future self. I'm also at a significant point in my life where anything can happen, and with that, you can't help but wonder where life may take you. So without further ado, here is the letter I'm sending to my future self 10 years from now ....


To the future me,

How are you? I hope you are well. Where are you living these days? Somewhere were the weather is more predictable I hope than English weather. Tell me, did you decide to actually cut your hair to the shoulder length, or grow it down to your waist? Did you dye your hair red or light brown? I'm still stuck with those dilemmas right here, right now.

Tell me about all the wonderful people we've met since this very moment of today. Tell me about all the places you've seen since you turned 21. Have you visited the streets of Paris? While you were there, did you visit the love lock bridge and place your own lock on there? Did you see the Parthenon in the land of Greece? Seen of the village of Santorini? Have you been inside the Colosseum in Roma? Ridden across the canals of Venice? Taken a stroll down Central Park in New York City? Seen Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco at sunrise? Dipped your feet in the clear blue waters of Bali? Or seen the sunset in a foreign land with the friends you love?

Who is part of your life now? And who has become a distant memory? Do me a small favour. Humour me. Pick up the phone right now, and ring that person you've been meaning to speak to forever. Just do it. Tell them your favourite memory you have with them, and of them. Give them something to smile about for the rest of the day. 

I'm a true believer in everything happens for a reason, even if we don't know it at the time. Maybe you finally know what the lessons and purpose of the hardships and struggles we've faced. Can you tell me what we truly learned from all these moments? What did we learn along the way? Where are you in life? Who have you become? And who do you want to be? What is your next adventure? What would you tell me if you had the chance?

I hope whenever you may be, whoever may be in your life - you are happy and blessed to be surrounded by wonderful people who are passionate, ambitious and kind in their everyday lives. Remember to stay positive, block out negativity and strive for the best. Challenge yourself to be the best version of yourself. Inspire yourself and those around you on a daily basis. Keep on smiling! I'm sure you've earn it ^_^

With Love,
           A friend


If you had the chance, what would you tell or ask your future self? Where do you wish to be in 10 years time?

Post a Comment