Five Life Lessons I learnt at 21

7 March 2015


When you turn a year older, you can't help but reflect on the past year. There were so many incredible things that happened to me when I was 21. I graduated from university with honours, I saw so many bands and artists that I love play live, and I met some pretty awesome people out there too. Throughout that year, I also learnt some very important life lessons that I thought I'd share with you today. I hope you all can find something that you can relate to or connect with. So without further ado, here we go!


1. Don't listen to critics with no credentials.
At some point in life you'll come across people who will discredit you or the path you want to take. They may tell you - you can't do this, you shouldn't or even if I were you, I wouldn't. They'll give ammunition to your doubts, or give you new ones without even trying. And not all of them will be bad people. But they aren't you. They aren't trying to do what you are. There is no point in giving their voices space in your life. You don't need that - especially if they don't have the credentials to back up their points.

2. Don't let the fear of what could be, prevent you from taking the risk.
There have been a few moments in my life where I've had a few opportunities at hand - but I've been scared to take the plunge. Sometimes the fear of the unknown seems more daunting than the comfortable. But why think so far ahead, when you've only take one step forward. Sometimes, trying is the greatest accomplishment of all.

3. Anything is possible
Year after year, I'm amazed to see how I'm at a different point and place in my life. If you would have told me half the things that have happened to my teenage self, I would not even be able to comprehend any of it. And yet even now, there are some things I can't even image, places and stages of life I can't imagine being in. But life takes you in so many different directions. You never know what could happen. Just because you can't see it yet, or it isn't tangible yet, doesn't mean it won't happen. As Albert Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

4. Let your passion be your drive

When I was 14, I remember telling my parents I was going to be a writer, I was going to take graphics. I was going to be creative. That was my aim in life, and since then I've never once looked back.  And because of that passion, I graduated. It is because of that passion I am where I am in life, and I am so thankful. Though the road maybe rocky, you own it to yourself to see your passions through! As Terry Crews said recently in an interview with Ellen, ''If you don't do what your supposed to do in your life, the world is going to miss what you have." I couldn't have said it better myself!

5. Change can be the greatest thing to happen to you

We fear change, because it's less than comfortable. It's venturing into the unknown. But sometimes the most growth you can have as an individual comes from change. Weather that's the environment you live in, the interests you have or ideas you identify with, change can take you to places you never even dreamed of or knew existed. Treat it as a companion - a friend even. It'll help you come the person you're meant to be. 

 
What life lessons have you learnt this year?


Post a Comment